Seriously disabled vet with chronic mental & physical war-caused injuries, exposes horrific Commonwealth government abuses and EMAIL FRAUD - leading to suicide attempts
Commended but illegally jailed; then, in pursuing EMAIL FRAUD
 & other issues, wrongly branded a frivolous & vexatious fraudster


Born 3 February 1937 to share-farmer parents, John's Navy career began 29 January 1951 when he, with 27 other 13 year old children became the "Flinders Year" Cadet Midshipmen,  joining the RAN College at HMAS Cerberus, Crib Point Victoria, in a harsh "horse-breaking" style culture with extreme physical, mental and other abuses.   

His father signed long-term (22 years in his case) indenture 21 January 1951, so ending any chance of John taking up the prestigious HV McKay scholarship which he hoped would take him into a civil engineering field - "the cards were stacked against him"  
from the outset.

Childhood innocence lost on entering Naval College -

Within weeks and continuing in bullying throughout his career he experienced abuses handed out for the sadistic pleasure of his superior officers, while those in whose care his parents had entrusted him, as a chid, constantly "turned a blind eye" to events; while failing to record untoward happenings and yet supporting all officers in a "club" culture of the times (chronic breach of Trust, Natural Justice, Duty of Care and Human Rights issues).

Consistent, systemic and repeated abuses involved:

1.    Repeated gym-shoe beltings on a bare bum in sadistic punishment handed out for the
       pleasure of senior Cadets and to which officers "turned a blind eye" on the basis 
       that "it was hard in my time too".

2.    Rape with the handle of an "indian club" and honey "up the bum", which is torture in the
3.    First Torture - "Water-torture" variant, but worse, with use of specially prepared liquid made from
        decayed food slops instead of water and being forced to eat or drink the concoction while 
        being forcibly held spreadeagled  by other children little older than himself, when aged 13 
        years, when forcibly held captive, prone and naked or almost naked, in mainly darkened 
        area.    His genitals were interfered with and blackened with boot polish in further indignity and 
When he collapsed and was brought to, he was “washed-out” with a hose in “water-
        torture” – aged 13 years and around one month after entering long-term bonded indenture !!

4.    Second Torture - Pushing toothbrush around paths with nose while ridden "jockey style" and
       whipped with a gym-shoe to name but a few indignities and extreme cultural indoctrination
       trials; also

5.    WITH - "Brain-washing" & "horse-breaking" tactics designed to obtain complete subservience
        using extreme gymnastics, formal punishment ("Jankers") carrying a rifle at high-port 
        while doubling around a parade ground under directions of a drill-master, but also 
        including de-humanising "silence-bans", fagging and more .... handed out by children 
        senior to John's group aged 14 to 17 years in
bullying & bastardisation with officers, 
        schoolmasters in charge and medical staff "turning a blind eye in a culture where 
        questioning superiors was outlawed, subservience demanded and where recorded 
        complaints were not addressed;

6.    We quickly learned officers in whose care we were placed were “part of the cultural system” 
        and we had learned never to complain, BUT John did complain to the psychologist in HMAS 
        Cerberus – Mr Wally Myers and whilst most of his psychological report has been damaged & 
        obliterated with much unreadable, the reports do record some criminal abuses and his 
        complaints about those abuses.

7.       He
complained about “leader X” specifically and later, in 1959-1960 he served with the same sadistic, 
          inhumane bully when he was  ......................   Officer in HMAS Anzac and when, in his sadistic and 
          contemptuous way he pursued some whom he treated with contempt – as well as John and other 
          junior officers who were not “sports stars”, (who always seemed to receive “free passage” and even
          adulation [a cultural and “club” issue]).    

Possibly in retribution for earlier complaint about him, this superior officer treated John with 
          contempt and disdain to damage my career at that time – leading to promotion to the rank of 
          Lieutenant being delayed.    “Leader X” also besieged the Squadron Medical Officer a 
          Lieutenant Commander who lost his confidence and self respect as a result of the humiliating 
          treatment he received at the hands of “Leader X”

Like it or not, John  feared for his life; in horrific terror & torture episodes and being held
          captive.    It was career ending and life threatening, exceptionally frightening and 
           throughout the experiences and other terror, which continued over a period of some years in 
           Naval College he, with other fellow cadets, suffered abuses to which officers, medical staff 
           and schoolmasters all “turned a blind eye” - his whole life WAS CHANGED from his happy
           Christian pioneering upbringing.    

           Abandoned and betrayed, John lost all respect for the Navy, administration and society –
           from when he was a child aged 13 years !

            John's marginal farmer parents implored Him “stick it out Geordie”, because to pay the bond 
            for release would have cost more than their share in their small marginal farm was 
            worth – they were unable to help in John's plight and each continually apologised for the 
            abuses he suffered and continued to suffer in Navy service, right up until their deaths

9.    In adult Navy service these mental and physical abuses were followed by:
        (a)    long-term cultural bullying and abuse with indiscriminate and illegal unrecorded
                stoppages of leave (requiring "court" type hearing for sailors and recorded in
                punishment returns, but not so for officers), including for month's on end during
                group's first overseas deployment in HMAS Melbourne during 1956; 
        (b)    wrongful dismissals and un-considered series of resignations; also
        (c)    illegal jailing without investigation of incident as required by law and tied to  Court
                Martial which failed to proceed so denying remedy;

        (d)    unlawful non-consideration of a number of resignations.

As 13 y.o. children, we quickly learned to never complain, but "dust off" and get on with life with forgiveness and acceptance of the culture - we had no options because we were under extremely long-term bonded indenture and had been brain-washed while surviving horrendous abuses.   

In any case, his father signed indenture 21 January 1951 and could not afford to pay to release him from the bond !   

John provides more detail on these events in his Statutory Declaration.

Blind-faith & held captive against his will:
We all fell into a "blind-faith" acceptance of our lot in life (under long-term [22 years in John's case] bonded indenture with "pocket-money", outlawed by Federal government in 1901 for Kanaka cane workers in Queensland), while developing a higher ideal of "for Queen & Country".    

John refers to the lasting bonding between us as "unholy-alliances", which he believes led to Navy problems exposed in and around the mid 1960's period in HMAS Voyager disaster and other enquiries.

John was held captive in bonded indenture against his will with no escape as his parents could not afford to pay the bond to release him and begged him to "stick it out Geordie".

Throughout their lives his parents apologised for sending him into the Navy in lieu of taking the MV McKay scholarship leading him into an engineering career.

John was involved in many war, Secret operations and peacekeeping; he suffered operational extremes, sabotage and mutiny; he witnessed ugly war and a number of serious accidents and had many serious falls causing acute immobility, including during war operational service and when he fell overboard between two ships during peacekeeping.   

He was denied medical assistance following a number of bizarre incidents and came to distrust service medicos to the extent that in 1964 and 1966-1967 he sought specialist civil medical, counselling as result of a series of extreme and bizarre events.

His ADF service caused acute mental and physical problems affecting his Navy career and life after discharge, including illegal jailing for sabotage by a senior sailor with untoward dismissals from duty in the Navy and loss of all work opportunities after discharge.   

Serious falls, likely caused through balance problems resulted in chronic back, neck and other mobility injuries.    He has continuing nightmares, sleep, social problems and flashbacks with suicidal thoughts commencing from events during 1963-1964 when on exchange service with the British Royal Navy.  

John rose above the odds - forgiving in his Christian way - to stamp his mark on Navy operations in peacetime, in peacekeeping and war; also on Navy surface and air weapons.

John repeatedly re-invented himself in seeking to cope with extremes for which Navy now accepts liability in peace and in war operational service.  

He excelled in his Navy training from when at the Naval College, where he won several prizes; rising to Senior Midshipman and being "dux" of the examinations for Lieutenant then, on completing his specialist weapon and missile training course in the UK he was specially selected, as a junior Lieutenant, to lead the next course, before taking over from a senior Commander in a Daring-class destroyer, the largest gunship at that time.

Later he was captain of two ships; he was also responsible for fleet weapons operational performance when on the staffs of FOCAF & FOICEA ; in addition, when Director Weapons & Tactics in Navy Office 1967-1968, he was commended for notable contribution in his work before the Naval Board granted him early release from indenture, with medical discharge.

John was a highly trained specialist gun and missile officer trained by the British Commando's; at Royal Naval college Greenwich, the Staff College at Woolwich and in the USA, gaining wide anti-terrorist and aid to civil authority training and experience.


John served in three aircraft carriers of the same class as HMAS Melbourne above - he also served in three Daring-class destroyer escorts; also shown above during flying operations

John sought civilian specialist medico help when at he US Navy Base at Vallejo, California in 1964 and in 1966 when in Singapore; also in 1966-1967 when serving in HMAS Duchess.

He also shared his acute career concerns at different stages with three senior Navy captains who counselled "wait and see".    Ultimately John was advised to discuss his career problems with his boss - Deputy Navy Chief Rear Admiral Hugh Stevenson - when holding the very senior appointment of Director Weapons and Tactics (G) on the Naval Staff.   

In the event he had no option than to accept early release from the Navy, proposed by Admiral Stevenson, who advised full medical discharge which failed to eventuate

Unfortunately, in December 2013, it appears from archive evidence that Admiral Stevenson lied to John about the Naval Board meeting approving his discharge on full pension.    However, Admiral Stevenson also betrayed the captain of HMAS Melbourne after collision with USS Evans, as reported by eminent columnist Mr Evan Whitton.  

                Nevertheless, John was privileged to be given command of two Navy ships.   
        Commended for notable service shortly before discharge, his war-service is also recognised

Thus, John's biggest ADF service complaint, after suffering bizarre incidents including horrific ADF caused injuries, illegal jailing and several wrongful dismissals from duty, is that discharge advised by Admiral Stevenson failed to eventuate.    

he Naval Board  had agreed to release him 5 years early on medical grounds - from servitude (indenture) signed by his father when aged 13 years - and, in this discharge not proceeding, it wrecked his life and family

It is worth noting that the Commonwealth banned such indenture with "pocket-money", as in John's case in 1901 - but for Kanaka cane workers.    

To maximise his career opportunities, John sought civilian specialist medico help and also shared his acute career concerns at different stages with three senior Navy captains who counselled "wait and see".    Ultimately he was advised to discuss his career problems with his boss - Deputy Navy Chief Rear Admiral Hugh Stevenson .     In the event he had no option than to accept early release from the Navy with medical discharge which failed to eventuate.   

Realistically and within the bounds of his bonded indenture he had done all he could to ensure continuity in his career.

But instead his life was ruined as demonstrated in 30 years of civil life where his ADF caused injuries led to him losing each of some 65 work opportunities, yet he had short periods of great success as in the Navy

For more detail of his service life events AND his horrific experiences in pursuing his rightful and reasonable claims entitlements - see John's Statutory Declaration on his career and experiences in pursuing his case; also his career schedule; in addition his papers of 19 March, 4 & 15 April, 10 & 26 June 2008.

John suffered greatly during his early years in the Navy, yet had been able to rise above events and would likely have continued so to do, had not experiences in HMS Diamond, when on exchange service with the British Royal Navy, occurred.

His fall from a position of considerable esteem to rock bottom IN 1963-1964, with wrongful jailing and being wrongly blamed for serious sabotage; with he and his family being ostracised in continuing blame for sabotage by a senior sailor; also for other extraordinary events including mutiny, appears to have sealed his career fate.

                        These events caused him to sometimes be placed on suicide watch.

HMS DIAMOND - major cause of problems
As a young Lieutenant John was specially selected above British officers more senior to him to relieve a senior Royal Navy Commander in HMS Diamond as Gunnery Officer with wide war operations responsibility based on his training and success in a range of disciplines.   

He was a highly trained professional, with Commando training in anti-terrorist and guerrilla warfare; also in civil power assistance operations and with flying experience; in addition he had special Staff training.     John was a highly trained "war machine" who had learned to overcome fear from experiences when a child at Naval College.  

                                                        War operations on patrol

His professional background led to him serving in high profile secret peacekeeping missions in hotspots in S-E Asia and, in HMS Diamond, in  Africa. the Yemen, the Gibraltar Straits and other Mediterranean countries.                      

But extreme and bizarre events, recorded in Statutory Declarations supported by others, with his accompanying "fall from grace", while on exchange service with the British Royal Navy, brought to an ignominious end  a very promising career along with John's prospects and likelihood of becoming Chief of Naval Staff.    Yet, he continued to fight on in an indenture which could not be broken and including through four resignations, which were not considered. 

Extreme and bizarre events, with his accompanying "fall from grace", in HMS Diamond while on exchange service with the British Royal Navy, brought to an ignominious end  to what would seem to have been a very promising career, along with John's prospects and likelihood of becoming Chief of Naval Staff.                                         


                                            HMS Diamond - Daring-class destroyer

As outlined above, John had already suffered greatly in early torture, physical and mental abuses, including being held captive - to which a "blind-eye" was turned and corrective action never taken.   

However, service in HMS Diamond either caused or greatly aggravated his medical conditions through perhaps his worst service experiences during exchange service 1963-1964.

His medical problems were then exacerbated by ugly experiences in HMAS Duchess 1965-1966.

In Diamond, mission extremes, untoward operational risks to ship and crew members; with serious deprivations led to two extraordinary sabotages and mutiny on passage through the Suez Canal, after serious unmanageable health issues with many crew in a ship deployed to the tropics, but built for North Atlantic cold weather conditions.   

He had a most serious fall overboard between two warships in close company created both mental and physical problems through injuries during his fall on striking objects protruding from his ship.

He also participated in a failed mid-winter UK rescue operation, at night-time in ice and snow conditions, for an overturned vessel and crew and this contributed to tensions - serious loss of life resulted.   

In addition, he had unsuccessfully sought to correct the most serious and illegal breaches of International Rule of the Road at Sea, which placed his ship and all crew at serious risk consistently.    This occurred when the command in his ship repeatedly wrongly "turned left" instead of "right" when on collision course with another vessel - "a recipe for disaster".

Exchange service with the Royal Navy in HMS Diamond set the stage for continuing extreme unresolved bizarre abuses, which were severely damaging to his health, career and personality and became a turning point in his career.    

John's untoward problems began during pre-deployment work-up off Poole in Southern England in freezing conditions, early 1963, when he was wrongly dismissed his duties, illegally jailed and ordered to stand Court Martial - when another ship was almost sunk during a failed weapons practice incident which proved to be sabotage by a senior sailor - John was wrongly blamed and has never recovered or had his name cleared !    

This treatment is illegal and out of character in modern military service.

Nightmares, flashbacks, suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts stem from and continue, as a result of his bizarre experiences in HMS Diamond 1963 to 1964.

Remedy was denied John as Court Martial failed to proceed, but events in HMS Diamond became worse .... another very disenchanted sailor caused another serious sabotage which worsened John's fall from a position of high esteem to rock bottom.

YET, more followed after the ship's Secret deployment to East Africa, during rebellious times, and a visit to Mombasa for R & R was changed at short notice - because John was responsible for war operations and he was regarded as an alien !    This event led to much hostility amongst the crew and then .........

Many crew became chronically ill when the ship sent to Perim Island, prior to its transfer to Yemen - a mercy dash had to be made to Aden.    This all led to .........

Mutiny resulted through health problems, long tensions during peacekeeping and preparation for deployment, then turmoil during a most hostile passage through the Suez Canal.

This series of bizarre events led John into resigning three times with not one resignation even receiving reply !

Non-consideration of a resignation is illegal -  YET such bizarre experiences were a forerunner to treatment he later experienced in ADF service.

Ships blocking Suez Canal in 1963  & Perim Island in very narrow straits in Red Sea

HMAS DUCHESS  - exacerbation of problems in war-service operations
On returning to Australia, via the USA for further specialist missile training, he confided his career problems with Chief of Staff to FOICEA, who ultimately warned him of troubles ahead when he was appointed to HMAS Duchess at very short notice and when activities of a rebellious crew had reached the press.    

At this time, John served on the staffs of both FOICEA and FOCAF where he was responsible and made significant contribution to Fleet weapon performance.

At short notice, in what is called a "pier-head jump" John was appointed to HMAS Duchess, a British built Daring-class destroyer of the same design as HMS Diamond and on loan to the RAN by the Royal Navy following the horrific Voyager/Melbourne disaster, which seriously damaged morale throughout the RAN.    

Sadly the rebellious crew, whom he had been warned about, and other war operations problems, risks and abuses, which apparently existed in the ship's previous deployment to the S-E Asian FESR (Far East Strategic Reserve)  soon again flared-up again in HMAS Duchess under the same captain.    Duchess was the largest gun-ship of the times and earlier problems had reached the Australian press so there was great tension onboard from when he joined in August 1965.

Captain DAH Clarke's warnings proved to be valid and he was twice illegally dismissed his duties and had constant disputation with his captain over excessive operational risks during Indonesian Confrontation.

Being responsible for anti-infiltration/counter insurgency operations John advised against bringing hostile Indonesian infiltrator craft, involved in insurgency and terrorist operations against Malaysia, alongside to be boarded and searched.   

His advice was rejected, yet it proved to be correct when operations were changed after a sister ship, HMS Wollaston, suffered damage and fatal injuries as a result of methods John advised against.
     The British Admiral immediately changed procedures to those John had advised his captain, but this only worsened John's position with his captain. 



War operations scenes during Indonesian Confrontation

HMAS Duchess came into collision with a sizeable native vessel during operations in what were often congested shipping lanes where up to 300 craft could be displayed on the ship's radar at any one time.   Overall John experienced a number of extreme and even bizarre events, including tensions which resulted in another mutiny in September 1965, in circumstances similar to those in HMS Diamond.     These events are recorded by John in a plethora of documents and a Statutory Declaration and can be revealed through careful reading of the ship's Report of Proceedings.   

Then, following several serious falls, he had a bad fall in Vietnamese waters and, as a result of him being unable to stand whilst on watch-keeping duties, he also suffered two further untoward dismissals from duty (both in 1966), for no apparent reason or investigation (substantiated by others) ..............
Leading to another and 4th un-considered resignation written in the Arafura Sea where the dismissal occurred !  

Again, such actions against an officer are unknown in modern-day ADF service.

These bizarre happenings, caused or exacerbated  serious chronic PTSD, psychological and acute physical disabilities for which he has unsuccessfully sought his rightful entitlements, including TPI, and workers' compensation under the SRCA Act.    

But, long ADF negligence, exposure to untoward events and abuses were "capped" when serving in HMAS Duchess, following a most serious criminal assault on his 5 y.o. child .... when, in view of HMAS Duchess pending deployment to S-E Asian FESR (Far East Strategic Reserve) he was  denied compassionate leave and unable to address the situation for some two years due to "exigencies of the service" in his postings ....

After this assault, he was firstly warned of his unacceptable psychological and personality problems (confirmed in a letter from his then commanding officer) AND then dismissed his ship, another career ending event at any time.

HOWEVER, this was the 4th dismissal John experienced - since he was wrongly jailed and ordered to stand Court Martial.

                    Realistically, did John have any career left ?

For an officer, one such experience without due investigation would be sufficient to end a career in ADF service, let alone 4 career-ending episodes .... what would you have done ?   

John discussed events with his superiors who advised "wait & see"; also with specialist medicos outside the Navy in 1964 in the USA in 1966 in Singapore and on his return from service in the FESR in 1966/7; this time he went to see Admiral Stevenson Deputy Navy Chief and..........

John believes these matters were key considerations in his early release with medical discharge, which was yet another Commonwealth misrepresentation as it did not materialise !

He had been commended for his work, which included weapon equipment invention - John was also recognised for his specialist work in war and peacekeeping operations. 

John had some 19 periods of war operational service in S-E Asia during the Emergency in Malaya, during Indonesian Confrontation and Vietnam with the Far East Strategic Reserve; with SEATO and the American Alliance

Navy achievements

RANC 1951-1954:   
Despite opposition from some scholastic staff I was appointed a Cadet Captain and later Senior Cadet Captain and, when Senior Cadet Midshipman, I was made responsible for a group of Merchant Navy Midshipmen during their National Service – all were in their early to mid 20’s and had spent time at sea in their respective roles in Merchant Navy service … by contrast I was aged 17 years and totally naïve !     An horrific responsibility and task.    I won several prizes on graduating and Passing-Out from the RANC.

Training ship:         Senior Midshipman and “dux” Lieutenant’s examination.

Sub. Lt courses:     Duxwith a number of 1st class passes.

HMAS Anzac:          Promoted to rank of Lieutenant early.

HMAS Penguin:      Appointed as First Lieutenant in charge of some 80 civilian personnel; also appointed as captain HMAS Bass.

HMAS Gascoyne:  
Appointed to the taxing and critical job of Navigator during oceanographic, ocean current and fisheries research with the CSIRO under Dr Fergie Wood requiring precision navigation (I relieved a senior Lieutenant Commander Navigation specialist officer) – as a result of my work, I was selected as a very junior Lieutenant for professional warfare, including Royal Marine Commando guerrilla warfare and anti-terrorist training; training in the aid to civil power to assist restoring order following rebellion; also staff training in the UK.

HMS Excellent:   
Specialist professional warfare training (as above) in above water gun and missile weapons systems; also in counter insurgency & guerrilla warfare with the Royal Marine Commando group; in addition amphibious warfare, staff straining and administration with the Army at Woolwich in England and in “aid to the civil power” for specialist and secret professional roles in operations East of Suez and in the Mediterranean; later in S-E Asia in the FESR.   

I came third in a large class of more senior International, British and Commonwealth officers, most of who already had specialist weapons systems experience.   

With this result, I was specially selected to lead the next commissioned officer professional warfare gun and missile system course and then to take-over from a senior Commander (when a junior Lieutenant) as Gunnery Officer and a Principal Warfare Officer in HMS Diamond, a Daring-class destroyer.    This was a most prestigious appointment in the largest British Navy gun-ship at that time when “gunship-diplomacy” was still important in diplomatic relations and peacekeeping.

HMS Diamond:       
Secret operations and interdiction in The Straits of Gibraltar; Secret operations planned in East Africa; also in the Yemen, Aden, Suez Canal (where there was mutiny); in addition in Lebanon and North Africa and other areas in the Mediterranean region.

US Navy Academy Vallejo California – Chosen to complete specialist missile course.

Base Gunnery Officer on FOICEA’s staff & Fleet Gunnery Officer on FOCAF’s staff
– responsible for Fleet weapon performance and for weapon personnel, training and training facilities ashore.

Assistant Director Weapons at Navy Headquarters in Canberra - Responsible for:

  • Preparing the Staff Paper with potential for major personnel and administration changes in the Navy.    This followed studies conducted by high-powered consultants Messrs WD Scott, Chandler & McLeod and others – an unrealised initiative of the human resource specialist and then Navy Minister Don Chipp.
  • Developing a muzzle velocity measuring system to improve Naval gunnery, which is subject to numerous ballistic and other variables and which can only be improved with accurate measurement of muzzle velocity.
  • A forward-thinking paper prepared under much stress during a period embracing, amongst other issues, major Navy administration and manpower problems exposed in Royal Commissions following the Voyager disaster (see writings by Bishop Tom Frame and others).    Navy Chief, Admiral VAT Smith, led a determined effort and staunchly sought to build a strong ethical Navy to cast aside long-standing cultural and predatory problems involving an ancestry-type culture which had existed from “Nelson days”.
  • Creating the new concept Integrated Weapon, Command, Communications and Control System leading to a specialist overseas weapon evaluation mission; also
  • Working with Defence Scientists, including WRE Salisbury under Elgar Treharne; in addition to weapon sourcing with DOS Ralph Tobias - associations which helped in the plan I developed, which in 1969/1970 became known as the “Offset Program” - for improving industry technology, continuing thru to purchase of the Hawker Group by Boeing.
  • Formulating the “common-hull concept”, which became the basis for the new Light Destroyer program but which was eventually shut-down.
  • Preparing the guidelines for helping the Navy obtain the last Skyhawk aircraft and air-to-air missiles for aircraft, at a time when Naval aircraft were basically unarmed against the threat current at that time vis-à-vis Indonesia.


Extreme and bizarre events, with his accompanying "fall from grace", in HMS Diamond while on exchange service with the British Royal Navy, brought to an ignominious end  to what would seem to have been a very promising career, along with John's prospects and likelihood of becoming Chief of Naval Staff.     

Website Builder